The construction of Russia’s Old Ladoga Canal in 1719 - the largest hydraulic structure in Europe at the time - laid the foundation of Nevsky Shipyard’s history. The appearance of steamers at the end of the XIXth century required independent ship repair facilities. From 1866 to 1906 the steamer fleet of the North-West increased almost 7 times. It led to the establishment of Schliesselburg ship repair workshops in 1913 (now Nevsky Shipyard). The main task of the ship repair workshops was repair of state steamers, dredging vessels and other types of vessels.
Revolutionary disturbances of 1917, civil war, problems with provisions resulted in protracted production crisis. The labours of the ship repair workshops only disassembled river vessels for spare parts and stocked firewood for heating and steam engine starting. The fact that pre-war cargo traffic level and the scope of ship repair works were restored only by 1930 shows the significant material loss caused by the First World War and the Revolution. The North-Western River Shipping Company was founded according to the resolution of the Work and Defense Council dated January 30th, 1923. The Schliesselburg ship repair workshops became integral part of the North-Western River Shipping Company. In 1924 the workshops started to carry out large ship repair works. For this purpose a wooden premise was built on shore of the river Neva near the Petrovsky sluice. The first passenger steamers “Grazhdanin” and “Respublika” were completely repaired in this wooden premise.
In 1929 ship repair workshops staff attempted shipbuilding for the first time. As a result the tanker “Maxim Gorky” set off on international voyage. The vessel was built in Rybinsk and outfitted in Schliesselburg. In 1936 the ship repair workshops were awarded the status of II rank ship repair yard in accordance with the order of river fleet People’s Commissar. The enterprise was experiencing continued growth: electric welding workshop, power station, storehouses and shipyard management building were constructed. The following departments were formed: transport, design bureau, quality control and traffic control service. The Shipyard carried out repair works of not only canal vessels but also lake vessels. The Shipyard became one of the largest enterprises in North-Western River Shipping Company. In 1937 the ship repair yard staff was for the first time awarded Transferable Red Banner for efficient work.
On June 22nd, 1941, the first day of the Great Patriotic War there were numerous meetings in the workshops. After that many workers signed up volunteers for the Red Army and people’s volunteer corps. In July 1941 the first group went to the front. In September 1941 the ship repair yard was evacuated to Velikiy Ustyug as Germans were quickly approaching Leningrad. For the years of the Great Patriotic War the Shipyard workers produced about 1 million of motor shells, 800 field kitchens and repaired over 100 river vessels for the front in spite of privations and the enormous devastation. 170 workers of the enterprise were awarded the orders and the medals as Valorous Labours.
During post-war years despite of destroyed workshops, equipment deficiency, famine and privations the workers restored the enterprise at earliest possible date. Since 1952 the Shipyard started shipbuilding on its production facilities.
From the middle 60’s the enterprise started to carry out various production program. 30% of total output accounted for shipbuilding: tankers, lake and river steamers. Other 30% accounted for machine building: rolling-and-bending machines, straightening and bending machines, hydrosandblast units, high pressure pumps and etc. Besides, workers mastered new equipment for river transport.
Nevsky Shipyard became fleet base. The Shipyard was home yard for 10 lake vessels and 22 canal vessels. Repair of river fleet (steamer and diesel) of different capacities and structures made up more than 30% of production. The Shipyard started to master the production of the most part of shipbuilding and engineering goods. Nevsky Shipyard helmed by Igor Studenov became the leading industry enterprise.
In 70’s – early 80’s of the last century the Shipyard developed rapidly pretty much thanks to its director Evgeniy Yashin.
Evgeniy Yashin initiated the new reconstruction of most of the workshops including installation of numerical control and automatic machines, as well as the first computers. Nevsky Shipyard was the first enterprise in USSR which used Japanese programmed plasma and gas-cutting equipment in blank production. The Shipyard mastered the production of steering hydraulic gears produced for the whole industrial sector, slipway winches and dollies, machine tools for shipbuilding. Great experience was gained in manufacturing marine gears and equipment: propeller shafts, spindles, steering nozzles, rudders, ship doors, replacement and spare parts for engines. The Shipyard slipway allowed to repair 15 heavy-tonnage vessels simultaneously.
В сентябре на выставке «Нева-2001» в «Ленэкспо» заводу были вручены золотая медаль и почетный диплом за разработку нового типа рулевых машин.
In September, 2001 at the exhibition “Neva-2001” in LenExpo Exhibition Complex (Saint-Petersburg) Nevsky Shipyard was granted the gold medal and the honorary diploma for designing of new type of steering gears.
Nowadays shipbuilding is still the main activity of Nevsky Shipyard. It includes building ready-to-operate vessels of all types (salvage vessels, tankers, dry-cargo vessels, tug-boats, run-about vessels, auxiliary and supply vessels), construction of steel hulls (without outfitting, with partial outfitting) and steel structures.
Nevertheless, ship repair remains an important part of the Shipyard business. Repairs include navigational, maintenance, dry docking, modernization and remodeling. Advantageous location on the great Volga-Baltic Waterway allows to transport vessels by inland waterways as well as to the international sea port of Saint-Petersburg for a further delivery to customers. This location makes it possible to repair and carry out maintenance works of passing-by vessels swiftly.
To ensure the highest standards of shipbuilding and ship repair, the Shipyard constantly updates its production capacities. For example, in 2009 the Automatic Line for Flat Sections Assembly and Welding of «IMG Ingenieurtechnik und Maschinenbau GmbH» company was put into operation. Sections movement is carried out in one direction with performance of operations at certain positions.
Two of the latest Esab SUPRAREX plasma cutting systems of third generation M3B were put in operation in 2010- 2011. A slipway was also put into operation, transport fleet and production workshops were updated and additional crane equipment was installed in 2010.
Since 2005 Nevsky Shipyard started to build vessels for foreign customers from the Netherlands, Norway and Kazakhstan.
Since 2009, the Shipyard has had a full order book. Nevsky Shipyard is currently carrying out two important projects.
The first involves multipurpose salvage vessels MPSV07 project. The Shipyard is building four vessels ordered by the Federal Agency for Marine and River Transport of Russia, which will be used by the State Marine Pollution Control and Salvage and Rescue Service of the Russian Federation (Gosmorspassluzhba). The vessels are multi-functional, which makes them unique in being able to perform the following functions: search and assistance to vessels in distress; search, rescue and evacuation of people; refloating and towing damaged vessels; fire fighting on vessels and fuel burning on water; oil spills response; deep-water diving operations at a depth of 300 m; investigation of sea bottom and damaged objects to a depth of 1000 m.
The second project is the construction of 10 multipurpose dry-cargo vessels, RSD49 project, of river-sea 7150 tons dwt. The dry-cargoes are intended for the North-Western Shipping Company.
General dry-cargo vessels of RSD49 project are the largest of the existing dry-cargo vessels of “river-sea” type in Russia. The vessels can carry general and bulk cargoes, including grain, timber, large and heavyweight goods and hazardous materials of different classes in the Caspian Sea, as well as in all the seas of the European region, including voyages around Europe and on the Irish Sea in winter.
The Royal Institution of Naval Architects entered the lead vessel “NEVA-LEADER 1” of RSD49 project in its list of Significant Ships of 2012. The vessel was included in the 50 ships of different purposes, types and sizes (from sea cruise liners to supertankers), selected by the world society of naval architects.
During of 100 years of history Nevsky Shipyard passed through two World Wars, revolution disturbances of the XXth century, crises and falls of the hard perestroika and post-perestroika times. No matter what, the Shipyard exists and develops, its staff faces the future with confidence. Nevsky Shipyard has good prospects for further development.
2, Fabrichny Ostrov, Schliesselburg, Leningrad Region, 187320, Russia
Phone: +7 (812) 494-83-38, (81362) 78-702
SETCORP.ru - daily on-line news on shipbuilding, energy, transport. Hot topics are selected for publication in the Maritime Market in the "Industry News - the quarterly review" section.
Become our advertiser and enjoy the opportunity of submitting your company news!